- Awareness in-service (1 day with GI certified trainer) – Understand the brain gender differences and learn high impact strategies that will be used the next day.
- Awareness and Planning for Implementation (2 days) – Get the one day information, plus more strategies and time to create the action plan for implementation.
- Implementing for Success (7-8 days) – Year-long, on-going and embedded professional development that includes content, strategies, classroom observations, feedback and on-going planning. Only 2 days require teacher release. Sample schedule below.
- Ensuring Sustainability (7-8 days plus certifying on-site GI trainers) Get the Implementing for Success plus send motivated staff to the Gurian Summer Institute to strengthen their enthusiasm and pursue certification.
- Two and Three Year Implementation plans for larger schools or district to ensure systemic implementation and desired measurable results.
- Become a Gurian Institute Model School – Three year status that can be renewed. Click here for Model School Requirements.
Sample Year-long Implementation
1 day equivalent
(time spread out over the year – phone or Skype)
Step 1. Strategic Planning Session and Ongoing Consultation
- Review dis-aggregated data
- Building/classroom observations
- Finalize goals and of the in-depth professional development to be provided
- Mid-course adjustments
June or August
1 day or 2 half day sessions for whole group
(release time required)
Step 2. Intensive Professional Development
- Foundation of nature-based theory
- Research on and implications of gender and learning
- Best practice gender friendly strategies
- Materials – Training manuals for each participant
- Suggested books – Boys and Girls Learn Differently, The Mind of Boys, and Strategies for Teaching Boys & Girls
September or October – 2 days
January or February – 2 days
2 days per visit (no release time required)
Step 3. Ongoing Facilitation – Ensuring sustainability(meet during team meetings/PLC time/after school)
- Building/classroom observations and feedback
- Tools for teacher implementation
- Classroom action plan
- Questions, struggles, concerns, successes
- More strategies
Late April or Early May
1 half day (release time required)
Step 4. Progress Monitoring/ Planning
- Accountability – What’s different and how do we know?
- Sustainability – Where do we go from here?
Early Fall and Spring
2 – 90 min. sessions in conjunction with observation days
(no release time required)
Step 5. Community Awareness Sessions for Parents
- Fall – let parents and community know about the strategies you will be using and the research behind it
- Spring – update parents and community on the positive results you’ve seen
May – June
Step 7. Program Evaluation
- Culminating report
Step 8. Online Course and Certification of Trainers
- Ensure schoolwide sustainability by certifying one of your staff as an on-site trainer ($1,000)
- Four Hour Online Course, $200.00 per attendee